Monday, August 3, 2009

Lessons from Hillary: co-existing with modern medicine

In my work as a women's heath advocate, I meet men and women from all walks of life who handle chronic disease, like diabetes and fibromyalgia for example, as "best they can". This leaves me with a feeling that there are great compromises made. On the other hand, it could mean "acceptance" on a much deeper level that helps in creating a more positive mindset.

Many times, though, I sense a feeling a helplessness, futility and depression - and I have much empathy for this situation, one I can only imagine.

Now, I really hope I am not coming across as a Pollyanna here - but I am surprised by how a person with a serious chronic condition is capable of re-framing their entire life. Turning their life on its head, finding the crown jewel in the feet. That's how it was with Hillary..


Here's an excerpt from her Huffington Post blog:


Each day I am still amazed to see that my diagnosis of MS has offered me numerous gifts, teachings and blessings in every area of my life. Back in the doctor's office, where my life shifted when I roared NO, I learned a powerful teaching that I always have a choice. My choice to be involved with my process of healing was going to take more than doctors, medicine and relying on the world outside of me. What brought me even closer to myself were teachers that showed up in many forms -- self-help books, healers, yoga teachers, meditation and life itself being the greatest of them all.

I found my home in this "new" world that co-existed with modern medicine. And it never made much sense to me then why they functioned more like parallel universes. It was powerful for me to learn that our thoughts are food and that they have a direct effect on the state of our health. For me Health means more than the food we eat, it contains everything including our thoughts, environment, lifestyle, and relationships.

The list keeps growing and ultimately brings us back to the question, What are you working on? And the answer is still -- ME!

1 comment:

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BlogWithIntegrity.com

blogtalkradio



Blogging Women

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon